Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading-Comprehension Skills - Part I
09-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Big Grin Reading-Comprehension Skills - Part I
Are you really reading, if you can read every word on a page? Well, maybe and maybe not!

One definition of 'read' is 'to utter aloud published matter;' if using this definition alone, of course you're reading. There's another description, nevertheless, which says 'to understand or interpret.' After reading the page, if you cannot answer questions in regards to the product, you really only called out words. Yes, you must know the words, but you also have to comprehend the author's message. THEN, you are truly studying.

Studying appreciation includes a number of specific skills. When reading along with your kids, ask questions that can reinforce these concepts, particularly during long absences from school. Listed here are a few:

1. Main Idea - What is the most crucial thing the section, site, phase, story, post, or animation is all about? When students are first learning this skill, the key idea is generally within the first sentence; afterwards, it could perhaps not be said in any way. The detail sentences tell concerning the main idea.

Example: I went to a pet shop. It'd food and toys for all types of pets. The animal sections had fish, birds, and kittens. I wound up getting some cat litter.

In this example, the first sentence shows the main thought and the rest of the sentences tell more about what happened at the pet shop.

2. Inferences - To infer means 'to determine by reasoning from some thing known or thought.' Put simply, use your previous knowledge to determine something.

Example: The Eagle has made an historic landing. You will find craters and rocks so far as the eye can see. Soon, I will add a special suit and be the first person to action on top.

From these clues, you can infer a man will soon step on the moon. The first person who did that was Neil Armstrong.

3. Predicting Outcomes - If you understand what you're reading, you'll be able to guess what'll happen next. Strengthen this ability throughout advertisements when you are watching TV!

Example: I brushed my teeth, took a bath, and placed on my pajamas. My mother came in to read me an account. When she was completed, she kissed me goodnight.

You are able to predict the daughter or son may now fall asleep. For fresh information, people may have a look at: high quality mission viejo geometry tutor.

4. Fact or Opinion - A fact is something you can show to be true, whether or not you want it, while a view is what you think or feel.

Example: I am in the Bank Atlantic Center. Tim McGraw and religion Hill will provide a concert. They're the best singers of all!

The initial two sentences are facts but the past is an opinion. Your opinion doesn't need to accept anyone else's because it demonstrates that WHICH YOU think. Clues may be comparison words ending in 'er' (ie: prettier) or 'est' (ie: happiest), in addition to terms including 'of most' or 'in-the whole world.'

To review, then, along with knowing words, you must have the ability to understand their meaning as a way to read. Some particular skills that aid in understanding are implications, primary thought, predicting results, and fact or opinion. In another article, I will write about other reading-comprehension skills.

I am hoping these examples are helpful and stimulate your personal creative thinking.

And remember...Reading is FUNdamental!.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply