Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading-Comprehension Skills - Part I
09-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Big Grin Reading-Comprehension Skills - Part I
If you can read every word on the page, are you really reading? Well, maybe and maybe not!

One definition of 'read' is 'to say aloud written matter;' if by using this definition alone, naturally you are reading. This wonderful thumbnail paper has a myriad of commanding tips for how to recognize it. There is another meaning, however, which says 'to understand or interpret.' After reading the page, if you cannot answer questions concerning the material, you really just called out words. Yes, you got to know the words, but you also need to understand the author's meaning. THEN, you are undoubtedly reading.

Reading awareness carries a number of specific skills. When reading with your children, ask questions that'll reinforce these ideas, especially during long absences from school. Here are a few:

1. Main Idea - What's the most important thing the section, site, page, history, article, or cartoon is approximately? The main idea is generally within the first sentence; later on, when students are first learning this skill, it may perhaps not be explained in any way. The detail sentences tell concerning the main idea.

Example: I went along to a pet shop. It had food and toys for all kinds of pets. The animal sections had birds, fish, and kittens. I wound up buying some cat litter.

In this case, the first sentence tells the main idea and the rest of the sentences tell more about what happened in the pet store.

2. Inferences - To infer means 'to conclude by reasoning from some thing known or believed.' In other words, use your previous knowledge to figure out some thing.

Example: The Eagle has made an historic landing. There are rocks and craters as far as the eye is able to see. Pretty soon, I'll add a special suit and be the first man to move on the surface.

From these hints, it is possible to infer a man will soon step to the moon. The very first man who did that has been Neil Armstrong.

3. Guessing Outcomes - If you understand what you're reading, you will be able to imagine what will happen next. Reinforce this skill all through commercials if you are watching TV!

Example: I put on my pajamas, brushed my teeth, and took a bath. My mother came directly into read me a story. When she was completed, she kissed me goodnight.

You can predict the daughter or son may now get to sleep.

4. Fact or Opinion - A fact is something you can end up being true, whether or not you want it, while a belief is what you think or feel.

Example: I'm in the Financial Institution Atlantic Center. Tim McGraw and religion Hill will give a show. They're the very best singers of!

The very first two sentences are facts but the past is an opinion. Your opinion does not have to trust everyone else's because it shows everything YOU think. Hints could be comparison phrases ending in 'er' (ie: prettier) or 'est' (ie: happiest), in addition to words including 'of all' or 'in the whole world.'

To evaluation, then, along side understanding words, you should find a way to read their meaning in order to study. Some specific skills that aid in comprehension are main idea, inferences, predicting outcomes, and fact or opinion. In a future article, I will come up with other reading-comprehension skills.

I hope these examples are useful and inspire your own creative thinking.

And remember...Reading is FUNdamental!.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply